Write for YPPT
We are always looking for new scripts, and welcome stories from all over the world. The guidelines below give an indication of what we are looking for. If you are interested in writing for us, please fill out the form below and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our scripts librarian will then get in touch with you if we think your story will work within our format. We recommend that you give the librarian the opportunity to discuss your proposed story with you before you turn it into a script.
YPPT SCRIPT Guidelines
A script for a YPPT production should have the vast majority of the characteristics outlined in the guidelines available for download below. Please read them carefully as scripts that do not have these characteristics may be unsuitable for our projects. In short, a few of the most important characteristics are:
- It should be suitable for children aged 10-11.
- It should be about 45 minutes long, including time for scene changes.
- It should be between 6000 and 7000 words.
- It should have between 6 and 10 major characters, and may have some minor characters (not including the narrator/s).
- It should have between 4 and 6 different sets (though each of these can be used for multiple scenes).
- Animal puppets may be included, but in limited numbers (max. 3) and not as main characters (due to the technical difficulty of making these).
- Magic and special effects are encouraged - effects that are difficult in normal theatre are possible with puppets. For example, previous shows have had smoking cauldrons, forests and rivers appearing from nowhere, and straw turning into gold on stage. Please contact the script librarian if you have any questions about what might be possible.